There are several new faces at the Bay View Cafe who are working to implement changes, including the suggestions from employees based on a recent survey.
Heather Pinto has moved from the Office of the Chief Financial Officer to Facilities as the Fleet and Contracted Services manager and will be managing the Lab’s contract with the cafeteria vendor, Epicurean. Hailey Bennett is the new Cafe Operations Manager for Epicurean, and Cesar Rodriguez has taken over as executive chef. Together, they are looking for ways to make the cafeteria more responsive to the needs of employees.
Here has what has changed in the past month based on employee suggestions:
Hours and Service
- The coffee bar is open earlier, at 6:30 a.m., and longer, until 4 p.m.
- Another cashier has been added to the team, which means the coffee bar will always have at least one person on duty, speeding up service at both the coffee bar and the cafeteria pay areas.
- Biodegradable straws added
- Purchased more metal utensils — but please don’t take metal utensils if you are leaving the cafeteria — instead use the biodegradable utensils, bring a set from home and leave in your desk — oh, and return the cafeteria utensils (and cups, plates, mugs, and trays) you already have stored in your drawer or break area
- Increased composting of food waste in the kitchen area
- Re-introducing the 25 cent discount off your beverage if you bring your own reusable mug or cup
- Added a cooler to the coffee area with grab and go options including yogurt parfaits, hardboiled eggs, cheese, crackers, and fruit.
- Added more grab and go options to the cooler in the cafeteria
- Added a breakfast burrito to the coffee area
- Labeled the water station for visibility