A new office, Career Pathways, has been set up to assist in the development of early-career scientists. Meg Rodriguez, who currently manages the Postdoc program, will lead the Pathways team. The office has several goals in the first phase:
- foster a connection between the Lab and scientists and engineers in the early phases of their careers
- develop an alumni network to grow the Lab’s pipeline for future career opportunities
- serve as a subject matter expert on Lab and UC policies around early career development including polices on promotions and demotions
- better align with UC appointment policies
- serve as a point of contact with UC on policy changes that could impact early-career employees
The office will combine the current Postdoctoral Scholar Program and the Early Career Enrichment Program. Future phases could include support for other groups such as graduate student researchers. The office is based in the Lab Directorate and will report to Bill Johansen, chief of staff to Horst Simon, Deputy Director, Research.